TiO2/Fe3O4 and TiO2/Fe2O3 nano-composites with various ratios were synthesized by an ultrasonic-assisted deposition-precipitation method and their UV-light for treatment of spent caustic wastewater color was investigated. The effect of Fe3O4/TiO2 and Fe2O3-TiO2 nano-composites ratio on the photocatalytic activity and magnetic property of the nano-composites was studied by comparing their decolourization curves and magnetism in the presence of magnet, respectively. The results revealed that the decolourization efficiency of 1 wt% Fe3O4/TiO2 nano-composite reached about 43% within 60 min UV irradiation at room temperature. However, this sample showed the least magnetism. Also, the ability of synthesized nano-composites in holding the adsorbed spent caustic wastewater color on their surface and the effect of pH were investigated. The photo degradation of spent caustic wastewater was studied at five different pH values (2, 4, 6, 8, and 10) and pH 4 shows the highest photocatalytic efficiency of 91%.
Keywords: spent caustic, wastewater, nano-composites, photocatalyst, ultrasonic
- Richman, M., Water pollution. Wastewater, 1997. 5(2): p. 24-29.
- Firooz, A.A., et al., High photocatalytic activity of Zn 2 SnO 4 among various nanostructures of Zn 2x Sn 1− x O 2 prepared by a hydrothermal method. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2010. 165(2): p. 735-739.
- Parsaie, A. and A.H. Haghiabi, Predicting the longitudinal dispersion coefficient by radial basis function neural network. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment, 2015. 1(4): p. 1-8.
- Parsaie, A. and A.H. Haghiabi, Computational Modeling of Pollution Transmission in Rivers. Applied Water Science, 2015: p. 1-10.
- Pare, B., et al., ZnO assisted photocatalytic degradation of acridine orange in aqueous solution using visible irradiation. Desalination, 2008. 232(1): p. 80-90.
- Yassıtepe, E., et al., Photocatalytic efficiency of ZnO plates in degradation of azo dye solutions. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 2008. 198(1): p. 1-6.
- Kong, J.-Z., et al., Photo-degradation of methylene blue using Ta-doped ZnO nanoparticle. Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 2010. 183(6): p. 1359-1364.
- Cozzoli, P.D., A. Kornowski, and H. Weller, Low-temperature synthesis of soluble and processable organic-capped anatase TiO2 nanorods. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2003. 125(47): p. 14539-14548.
- Jun, Y.-w., Y.-y. Jung, and J. Cheon, Architectural control of magnetic semiconductor nanocrystals. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2002. 124(4): p. 615-619.
- Rao, A.R. and V. Dutta, Low-temperature synthesis of TiO 2 nanoparticles and preparation of TiO 2 thin films by spray deposition. Solar energy materials and solar cells, 2007. 91(12): p. 1075-1080.
- Guettai, N. and H.A. Amar, Photocatalytic oxidation of spent caustic wastewater color in presence of titanium dioxide in aqueous suspension. Part I: Parametric study. Desalination, 2005. 185(1): p. 427-437.
- Herrmann, J.-M., Heterogeneous photocatalysis: fundamentals and applications to the removal of various types of aqueous pollutants. Catalysis today, 1999. 53(1): p. 115-129.
- You, Y., et al., Effect of different doping methods on microstructure and photo-catalytic activity of Ag 2 O–TiO 2 nanofibers. Materials Research Bulletin, 2010. 45(12): p. 1850-1854.
- Dong, X.-L., et al., Preparation of CdS–TiO2/Fe3O4 photocatalyst and its photocatalytic properties. Journal of sol-gel science and technology, 2013. 66(2): p. 231-237.
- Luo, S., et al., Synthesis and low-temperature photoluminescence properties of SnO2 nanowires and nanobelts. Nanotechnology, 2006. 17(6): p. 1695.
- Liqiang, J., et al., The preparation and characterization of La doped TiO 2 nanoparticles and their photocatalytic activity. Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 2004. 177(10): p. 3375-3382.